This weblog is hosted by Rushton Manor Courts Leet & Baron to facilitate the publishing of the proceedings of Rushton Parish Council in accordance with the new Government Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities*. The Court has no official connection with the Parish Council and is purely ceremonial in nature. The charitable objects of the Court are as follows:
Rushton Manor Courts Leet and Baron
Provides funding for any initiative which might benefit the ancient manors of Rushton James and Rushton Spencer which now form the civil parish of Rushton in the Staffordshire Moorlands. This might be to provide funding for bench seats on a rural walk or to assist with the provision of play equipment in the local school or park or to encourage volunteers to litter pick. Anything which retains or enhances the quality of life for residents of the defined area.
In practice this includes any community benefits to the residents of and visitors to the ancient manors of Rushton James and Rushton Spencer which now form the civil parish of Rushton in the Staffordshire Moorlands.
*Councils in England with turnover not exceeding £25,000 should publish the summons, agenda and draft minutes on a website. (This will become a mandatory requirement and replaces the need for smaller authorities to undergo external audit – minutes and agendas by 1 April 2015 and accounts by 1 July 2015).
515569 – RUSHTON RELIEF IN NEED CHARITY
Relieving either generally or individually persons resident in the parish of Rushton, Staffordshire, who are in conditions of need, hardship or distress by making grants of money or providing or paying for items, services or facilities calculated to reduce the need, hardship or distress of such persons.
The charity operates in the villages of Rushton Spencer, Heaton and Swythamley near Macclesfield, Cheshire. It supports local parishioners, providing support for a wide range of reasons to ensure provision of amenities, services that cover personal requirements and some social support to pensioners. The details of which are contained in the terms of the trust.
By will of 1744 Mary Sydebotham left the interest on £11 for distribution to poor widows in Rushton Spencer. At an unknown date Alice Yardley gave £12, the interest to be distributed in bread to the poor on the first Sunday of each month. In 1753 the combined capital of the two charities was laid out in the purchase of a cottage and 1½ a. in the township, which were let for 23s. a year. Out of that income 11s. was paid to the chapelwarden and the overseer of the poor a week before St. Thomas’s day (21 December), presumably for distribution as a dole on that day; the remaining 12s. was paid to the same officers to buy a dozen loaves to be distributed once a month on a Sunday to poor churchgoers. In the later 1780s the income was £3. It had increased to £6 5s. by 1823. A third of the money was then given to poor widows, there being 8 recipients that year; the remainder was spent on the monthly distribution of loaves, for which there were usually 8 or 9 recipients. (fn. 149) Bread continued to be distributed until 1972. The property was sold in 1983, and the capital invested in the name of the Rushton Relief in Need charity, established by a Scheme of 1984. In 2013 £3434 was spent on grants to needy people and on treats for the elderly.
501221 – Elizabeth Hulme
For clothing six of the poorest men and women alternately every year within the township of Rushton James.
In 1725 Elizabeth Hulme, in fulfilment of the wishes of her father, Thomas Higginbotham of Rushton James, settled land at Woodhouse Green in Rushton Spencer on trustees, to produce an income of £13 10s. Most was to go to charities in Cheshire, but £4 was to be distributed in clothing to six poor people in Rushton James on 16 October (Thomas’s burial day). (fn. 90) By 1788 Rushton James’s share had increased to £6, apparently paid by Charles Armett, the owner of Elizabeth Hulme’s estate in Rushton James. (fn. 91) By the earlier 1820s the charity was again financed by the charge on the Woodhouse Green land, and the money was spent on gowns and cloaks. In 1971 the charity was registered with the Charity Commission. In 1972 the income was being allowed to accumulate. The cahrity was removed from the register and ceased to exist on 29th June 2000.
Rushton Manor Courts Leet & Baron
Area of benefit:
In practice the ancient manors of Rushton James and Rushton Spencer which now form the civil parish of Rushton in the Staffordshire Moorlands.
The promotion of any charitable purpose or purposes institution or institutions benefiting the ancient manors of Rushton James and Rushton Spencer as the trustees shall in their absolute discretion determine.